Teach a Horse to Read – Horse Powered Reading®
Why read to our horse friends?
- Horses are excellent listeners
- Horses don’t judge
- Horses provide motivation
- Horses pick up on cues humans may overlook
- Horses inspire confidence
What is Horse Powered Reading®?
Horse Powered Reading® is a research-based program that uses the Equine Assisted Growth and Learning (EAGALA) model to combine equine facilitated learning with the best educational learning practices. It allows clients to see and experience reading with their entire mind, body and emotions by creating metaphors for the skills involved in reading.
Studies have shown that whole body learning designed to engage kinesthetic and sensory modes of learning dramatically improves the ability to retain important academic skills.
Clients interact with horses from the ground, while using toys, objects and props to identify obstacles and learn five critical reading skills – phonemic awareness, decoding, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension.
Facilitators are specially trained to help clients break through the challenges or barriers that get in their way of learning. Clients are then able to learn and reinforce reading and other academic skills in the moment.
Why Horse Powered Reading®?
Horse Powered Reading® focuses on the learning process of the individual and builds upon one’s natural curiosity and determination.
During sessions, clients are allowed to make discoveries and experiment with knowledge firsthand.
Horses help clients learn to build connections. They only bond with someone when they feel the person is being authentic and they are extremely sensitive to the actions of humans. The interactions that take place between clients and horses give the facilitator insight into what clients are experiencing inside of them and what patterns are working or not working for them.
As clients interact with their horses, the specially trained facilitator and trained volunteers, they will discover new ways to break through barriers that cause difficulty reading.
What are the benefits?
- Tailored lessons to the individual client in a way that engages the whole body
- Available curriculums for all reading levels 4K and up
- Build phonics skills and sight word recognition
- Enhance vocabulary
- Develop Fluency – reading quickly, accurately and with expression
- Overcome barriers blocking comprehension
- Learn and practice study skills
- Comprehend textbooks
- Learn new, unfamiliar and multi-syllable words
- Achieve higher order thinking
- Increase motivation and confidence
- Improve critical and creative thinking skills
- Promote self-efficacy
- Foster connections
- Carry new skills into the classroom
Who would benefit?
The Horse Powered Reading® program can help those that face a variety of mental health, behavioral and life challenges that get in the way of learning including:
- PTS, abuse and trauma
- Eating disorder
- Low self-esteem
- Anger management
- Boundary issues
- Relationship problems
- Family concerns
Please contact Diane Abitz, Executive Director/Program Director at (715) 359-6046 for more information.